At Rapport (powered by Speech Graphics), we’re building a fast-growing team of brand evangelists, scientists, engineers, designers, and doers who are focused on creating a positive future for human-machine communication. We solve hard problems and hold ourselves and our tech to a higher standard. We bring to life the physical manifestation of a brand, putting a face to the name. We are not your average “animation company”. We tackle every project with unbridled enthusiasm, promising to deliver the best experience--whether that be for internal employees, or enterprise leaders, customers, and clients.
As the most advanced, and most natural way to interact with an animated AI or character, we continue to disrupt the traditional animation industry.
Rapport (powered by Speech Graphics) is looking for a Senior Cloud Engineer with 3+ years experience to support the development and deployment of our network platform applications to AWS Public Cloud. The work you do will have a visible impact in the communication and entertainment industries.
You have a knack for picking up new technologies quickly and identifying and implementing the most relevant ones.
You know how to self-motivate to deliver on time, while also collaborating and communicating effectively with a distributed team. You have a thirst for knowledge and are looking to grow your career in a fast-paced startup. The position reports to the Network Platform Manager.
Job Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Architecting and implementing efficient and reusable services on the Amazon Web Services stack
- Designing resilient and operable services
- Identifying and resolving scalability and performance issues
- Improving services with latest cloud technologies
- Contributing to design and architecture discussions
- Working closely with teams ensure that services scale based on customer demands
- Code reviews, sharing knowledge with other engineers
- Helping to improve Continuous Integration and Delivery practices
Your First 3 Months:
Within the first few months here at Speech Graphics you will be introduced to the different elements that make up the company. This will involve speaking to members from each team for a quick chat to find out what they do, helping you to understand how the different functions work with each other.
On a technical level, the first three months will be about getting to understand the infrastructure and code base that is currently in place, applications we have deployed and monitoring we use to observe our applications. Plus, of course, the infrastructure that the applications are deployed to within our AWS accounts.
If required, you will be skilled-up in using the tooling we use in-house such as CDK, Python and AWS, so you can start to contribute and make that all important first pull request. Making your first pull request will give us the chance to introduce you to how we deploy our applications, how our AWS environments are used, what our CI / CD processes are.
We practice Agile here, so as part of the team you will be invited to our regular daily standup and fortnightly planning / refinement sessions.
Your First 6 Months:
By this point you will have a strong grasp of what we have deployed and how to make changes to applications and infrastructure. You will be utilising such AWS services as; Lambda, Cloudfront, Route53, Fargate, Cloudwatch, S3, SQS, SNS and whatever else is needed to get the job done. CDK, Python will be your go to tools for building services.
The backlog will have tickets that you have created to help move the company forward, make our services better and more scalable for growing customer demand.
You will be helping build and maintain our CI / CD, making deployments easier and faster through our AWS environments. Helping to shape new services in technical discussions within the team. You will have the opportunity to mentor new team members on everything you have learned over the last few months, and maybe learn something from them too.
- Minimum of 3 years of strong cloud implementation or consulting experience
- Provisioning cloud resources using CDK, Sceptre or similar tool
- Strong development experience in Node.js and/or Python
- Solid understanding of security best practices in the cloud
- Strong group-based problem solving skills and spirit of teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
- Ability to work within a schedule and deliver effectively to deadlines
- Testing experience: Unit, Integration and End-to-End
Please note these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the role.
- Experience with core AWS offerings and services such as EC2, S3, CloudFront, VPC, ELB, RDS, Glacier, Route 53, ECS (Fargate), CloudWatch, Cognito, Amplify
- Experience implementing and maintaining CI / CD
- Leadership qualities including strong communication skills, empathy, mentorship
- A degree in Computer Science or related field
- Any formal cloud based training and/or industry accredited certification is a plus
This position will join an incredibly talented and diverse workforce as part of a pioneering and visionary technology start-up. In return you can expect:
- Private healthcare
- 28 days holiday, plus additional time off over the festive period
- £120 towards improving your home set up (we will provide devices and equipment required for you role, this budget can be used to make your home set up more comfortable)
- Annual Learning and Development budget
- Anonymous health and wellbeing platform
- Flexible/remote working options
We are currently working remotely and interviews will take place via Zoom/Video call. We do have an office located in Edinburgh City Centre, that is available for use!
(Although we take a flexible approach to remote working, there will be occasions where travel to our HQ or core locations is expected - please take this into consideration when applying!)
At Speech Graphics/Rapport we value our staff and treat everyone with respect and without discrimination. We are committed to encouraging equality and diversity among our workforce and eliminating unlawful discrimination. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from a diverse and multicultural workforce.
Please note this is a UK based role and applicants will require legal right to work in the UK.